Sunday, March 25, 2012

Tex Mex Cornbread Casserole (CrockPot)



Recipe: TexMex Cornbread Casserole

1.5 lb lean ground beef (or turkey)
1 26oz can black beans
1 can Rotel
1 can Mexicorn (optional)
1/2 chopped red onion
Taco Seasoning (http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysboldtaco.html)
2 packages of Corn Bread Mix (I use Jiffy because it is a MI company and I like to support my state businesses)
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk

Spray Crock with Non-stick spray. Brown the meat then drain off excess fat.  Put meat in the crock with black beans, Rotel, Mexicorn, and chopped red onion.  Add a couple heaping tablespoons of taco seasoning (http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysboldtaco.html).  I use Penzeys spices because I love them and I will refer to them often.  By using them, I went to the status of great cook!  It is the one area that I do not skimp in the budget. Add a 1/4 cup of water to the meat and seasoning mixture then stir real good.  Make Cornbread according to package directions. Pour over meat mixture.  Turn Crock on Low for 5-6 hours.  Garnish with fresh cilantro, sour cream, salsa, cheddar cheese or whatever you like with tacos.

Rating: I rate this 4 out of 5 stars.  I would have preferred a little more spice.  If I do it again, I will add in a can of green chilies.  Another thing I will try next time is adding a cup of cheddar in the corn bread batter.

Source: a dear friend of mine gave me this recipe.  I have always made it in the oven, but using the crock was a wonderful alternative for this recipe.

Have a happy crockpot day!

No comments:

Post a Comment